The best resumes are not written in one night, it’s humanly impossible, especially because they need to go through several checks through second and third parties before they can be ready to send to an interviewer or a potential employer. You can check most popular resume templates and free online resume maker to improve your skills.
The Perfect Resume
Creating the perfect resume is impossible, because all resumes are going to have flaws. With that said, however, there are many ways to ensure that you are the best candidate for the job based on your resume. Your resume simply cannot be perfect because employers can have some difficult standards to go by, and you will not know this unless you ask. Asking can be straightforward, but the answer that you will get may not be. The most common resume mistakes, that must be avoided, are:
- Not using the correct fonts, which are Times New Roman, Calibri and Arial, as Comic Sans and other fonts are for children.
- Font sizes that are larger than 10 or 12, which are inappropriate.
- Resumes that are longer than a page or two are going to be thrown away instantly, so keep it short.
- Listing their personal information, such as hobbies, that are not relevant to the position.
- Avoiding the use of a resume editor, or have not had someone look over their resume to see where they can improve.
With those mistakes brought to light, it’s important that you take resume editing very seriously. Look over your resume yourself once you are finished and send it to someone who can look over it as well, just so any mistakes that you may have missed or any additions that should be there can be addressed before you send your resume around.
The Do’s and the Do Not’s
When it comes to listing your personal information, such as your hobbies, either do not include them at all or choose one or two that is relevant to the position that you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a position in a painter’s company, if you have an interest in painting in your spare time you could list that. To go further on that, if you are someone who is an acrylic painter in your spare time, list that and that alone.
Even though the times are drastically changing, especially since it’s 2015, making the same mistakes with your resume is simply inappropriate.